Monday, January 3, 2011

The Saga of Jeté: Chapter 6

I have so much news. So much! But damn if it's a lot to share. So one piece at a time, broken into several posts. I know. It's torture.

So of course the most important thing I have to share is the lastest development in my furbaby Jeté's cancer.

Which is: the chemo is not working. Her tumor is bigger.

After I was sure it felt smaller, no, in fact, it's bigger.

So I am taking until Tuesday to decide my next step, mostly because the oncologist is closed until then, but also because I want to make a measured decision.

Obviously we're stopping chemo. It's not working.

Radiation is out of the question. It just is. It's entirely too expensive and the closest radiation oncologist is in Seattle. Jeté gets stressed out to head across town. I can't pack her up for a 6 hour drive roundtrip to Seattle. Because at the end of the day, it's about her quality of life. But I couldn't afford it anyway. It's just out of the question.

So no radiation.

My other options are:

a) get a CT scan and if it's operable, operate.
b) get a CT scan and don't operate (even if it's operable).
c) do nothing.

I have a hard time with do nothing. Because what if there is one small chance that she could still be ok? But, I have to admit, finance is still a factor. The CT (which I told my dad is just for cats...you know...a CAT scan? ba dum chhhh) is around $1100 and surgery will be around $3000.

But I hate to just take surgery off of the table when there is a small window that it could work.

That window is very small however. What happens with these tumors is they grow tiny fingers that are impossible to see and grow into and around the cat. Without a CT, we don't know where and how deep these fingers are. But even knowing where they are doesn't mean you can cut them out (which is why chemo was supposed to shrink them). And if you don't get the fingers out, the tumor will just grow back.

So right now I'm leaning toward getting the CT, even though it's a huge expense, because I have to know if an operation is possible. I have to know if we have another shot at saving her.

She's only 7 years old. Have I mentioned that? Not even 7, not quite. She's so young. I have this tiny life in my hands and I have to do everything I can within reason to save her.

I refuse to make any decisions about the operation until I get the results of the CT (and see if I can raise the limit on my care credit).

Though I have to say, if it's a long shot, I may not put her through that. I may just let her live out her life, happily. I hurts me to see her so stressed out.

But for now? She's a happy kitty. Cuddling with Hobbes. These two love each other so much. I do worry about how Hobbes will do if we lose her. Jeté mothered and loved and cuddled and picked and dominated Hobbes since I adopted him as a kitten 4 1/2 years ago.

cuddles

But of course I'm worried about me too.

Anyway, so this is a great time to beg you for money! Hooray! You guys have been very generous. You helped me raise money for her most of her chemo and I am so grateful. Beyond grateful.

Aaaaand I know it's just after the holidays and everyone is hurting. So I know it's wrong of me to keep asking. But I need to. I need to raise more money.

Of course you can always just donate. I won't turn those donations down. The link is in the upper right corner there.

Or you can purchase something cute for yourself or as a gift from my Etsy shop! Everything is handmade and the second item ships free. I also do custom pieces inexpensively (just ask Ali from Made of Words). If you're interested in a custom piece, just email awesomecrazylady at gmail dot com.

Thanks so much for your support. Please send happy thoughts our way.

love

16 comments mean you love me:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You have lots of tough decisions and realities to face ahead I fear. Good luck.

Boonie

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks, Boonie

amydpp said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Anything for you, my dear.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

love to you, amy

we hate you. love, us said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm sending tons of good thoughts your way.

meleah rebeccah said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Im so sorry to hear about Jeté's condition worsening. Sending you my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Scott said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My dog died about...jeez, a year and a half ago...and it's been the worst thing ever, I'm not even close to over it, you'd think it had happened a week ago if you talked to me about it, and so would I. So I know how it feels to want to save your pet, and I would have done anything to save her, I'd have given up my legs to keep her going. She was literally my best friend, just like they say. It was fast, and nothing could be done though. It's hard to explain how important she was, people look at me funny when I get upset about a dog who died 17 months ago, so I have to pretend I'm fine with it now, even to my parents, but I'm not. I hate it and it's not fair and I wouldn't want anyone to go through a mess like this, even if I AM a weirdo for loving a dog so much. I really hope you can cure Jete, and I'm sorry you have to even think of it. They should live as long as people, they're mammals, we're mammals, why should lifespans be so different for the same basic stuff? Anyway I hope she pulls a surprise out and makes it a long long time, and I'll try to give what I can to help her stay here, where she belongs.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

B&V- thanks so much! xo

Meleah- thanks!! we appreciate it. <3

Scott- firstly, thanks SO much!! I completely understand and I am so sorry about your dog. they become our family. I am so scared to lose her. what's hardest for me is that she's so young. cancer is such a bitch. again, thank you! <3

Skye said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am so sorry this is happening to you and Jete. I think it is a good idea to do the CT scan (if you can afford it) - that way you will know for sure if surgery is an option. You would NOT be a bad mommy if you do nothing, but it would be hard on you and you would always wonder if you could have done more. I hope 2011 brings nothing but happiness and good health for you and the kitties.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks so much, Skye! <3

Nush said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Am so sorry to hear that it didn't work with the chemo. Really sucks. Understand that you want to look at a CT scan. I would as well. Let's hope for a positive outcome. Hugs!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks so much, hon! xo

Simone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

tough choices. ugh. sending you lots of love and hope you find peace with whatever choice you make.

Allie Gresham said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are in my thoughts honey. All my love to you. Pimp your etsy shop on fb again so I can share it!!!

Ally said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We had to put down my cat. She was about 10, I couldn't afford the operations, etc. She had breast cancer and they said her chances of survival or a happy life were slim.

Your kitties are lovely!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

heartbreaking. so sorry about your cat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...