I have so much news. So much! But damn if it's a lot to share. So one piece at a time, broken into several posts. I know. It's torture.
So of course the most important thing I have to share is the lastest development in my furbaby Jeté's cancer.
Which is: the chemo is not working. Her tumor is bigger.
After I was sure it felt smaller, no, in fact, it's bigger.
So I am taking until Tuesday to decide my next step, mostly because the oncologist is closed until then, but also because I want to make a measured decision.
Obviously we're stopping chemo. It's not working.
Radiation is out of the question. It just is. It's entirely too expensive and the closest radiation oncologist is in Seattle. Jeté gets stressed out to head across town. I can't pack her up for a 6 hour drive roundtrip to Seattle. Because at the end of the day, it's about her quality of life. But I couldn't afford it anyway. It's just out of the question.
So no radiation.
My other options are:
a) get a CT scan and if it's operable, operate.
b) get a CT scan and don't operate (even if it's operable).
c) do nothing.
I have a hard time with do nothing. Because what if there is one small chance that she could still be ok? But, I have to admit, finance is still a factor. The CT (which I told my dad is just for cats...you know...a CAT scan? ba dum chhhh) is around $1100 and surgery will be around $3000.
But I hate to just take surgery off of the table when there is a small window that it could work.
That window is very small however. What happens with these tumors is they grow tiny fingers that are impossible to see and grow into and around the cat. Without a CT, we don't know where and how deep these fingers are. But even knowing where they are doesn't mean you can cut them out (which is why chemo was supposed to shrink them). And if you don't get the fingers out, the tumor will just grow back.
So right now I'm leaning toward getting the CT, even though it's a huge expense, because I have to know if an operation is possible. I have to know if we have another shot at saving her.
She's only 7 years old. Have I mentioned that? Not even 7, not quite. She's so young. I have this tiny life in my hands and I have to do everything I can within reason to save her.
I refuse to make any decisions about the operation until I get the results of the CT (and see if I can raise the limit on my care credit).
Though I have to say, if it's a long shot, I may not put her through that. I may just let her live out her life, happily. I hurts me to see her so stressed out.
But for now? She's a happy kitty. Cuddling with Hobbes. These two love each other so much. I do worry about how Hobbes will do if we lose her. Jeté mothered and loved and cuddled and picked and dominated Hobbes since I adopted him as a kitten 4 1/2 years ago.
But of course I'm worried about me too.
Anyway, so this is a great time to beg you for money! Hooray! You guys have been very generous. You helped me raise money for her most of her chemo and I am so grateful. Beyond grateful.
Aaaaand I know it's just after the holidays and everyone is hurting. So I know it's wrong of me to keep asking. But I need to. I need to raise more money.
Of course you can always just donate. I won't turn those donations down. The link is in the upper right corner there.
Or you can purchase something cute for yourself or as a gift from my Etsy shop! Everything is handmade and the second item ships free. I also do custom pieces inexpensively (just ask Ali from Made of Words). If you're interested in a custom piece, just email awesomecrazylady at gmail dot com.
Thanks so much for your support. Please send happy thoughts our way.
2 years ago