Friday, January 14, 2011

Portland Foodie: Best Hot Chocolate EVER



When I lived in Paris, I had what I thought was the best hot chocolate ever at a little tea shop called Bouillon Racine in Quartier Latin. In fact, I still recommend it to all my friends headed to Paris. I'd never had anything so flavorful and decadent and haven't since.

Until last weekend that is.

My friend took me to Pix Pâtisserie in South East Portland. They have all sorts of amazing looking desserts and pastries there. But she took me for the Chocolat Chaud. The most evilly amazing thing you will ever consume, I guarantee (I don't really guarantee. I stand behind it, I just won't refund your money if you're a freak and don't like chocolate or something.)

I totally apologize for the crappy cell phone shots. I didn't have my camera.
If you go, order that specifically. They do have regular cocoas, which also look divine, but this? Oh my god was it utterly scrumptious. It's not hot chocolate. No. It's something else entirely.

It's a circus of textures and rich flavors that dances on your tongue. My friend said it was like drinking a melted brownie. It comes with a spoon because it's so thick and molten and once you mix together the cream and chocolate bits and what I assume is fudge with your spoon, you will have a foodgasm.

And do you see that little chocolate man it comes with? I put him in the molten concoction to melt, like a food hot tub. 

Sipping is divine too. It's like a soup of chocolate. Like that much thick flow of flavor should really require a permit.
I think the chocolate man is trying to climb on my face
I really did have a religious experience. And I'm not even religious. How much more can I rave about this? It's utter bliss in a coffee cup. If I were a man, I'd keep this on my list for once a month for the woman in my life, ifyouknowhatImean. As it is, I will be frequenting once a month.

But I couldn't even finish it! It was so rich and thick and heavenly, I couldn't get past 2/3. Next time, totally sharing with someone.
I did my best.
There is a peppermint version too, which my friend had and I can't wait to try. I can't imagine this having any more flavor, but add peppermint and I might just reach enlightenment and get absorbed into the ether.

I also have to mention how completely adorable the shop is. The gal working at the time was super sweet and (how much do I love this?) was wearing a Storm Trooper necklace. Total happiness.

She also informed me they do have a few vegan options and a variety of sorbets.  A girl's gotta look out for her vegan rommies, you know.
SE location, from the Pix website
Pix is the baby of chef Cheryl Wakerhauser (a.k.a. Pix). According to the website,
Cheryl trained at the pâtisserie of MOF Philippe Urraca in Southern France. In 2001 she moved to Portland and set up shop at the Portland Farmers Market. The next year, the first Pix Pâtisserie opened its doors, bringing European flare and edible art to Portland with an assortment of elegant pastries and handmade chocolates. To complement each delectable masterpiece, Pix Pâtisserie serves an array of dessert wines, Belgian beers, and fine spirits. Each location serves our signature pastries but with each shop having its own personality! 
Pix has two locations, one in SE Portland on 34th and Division and one in North Portland on Williams.

I'm told they also have parties there. I know where I'll be having my next birthday.

10 comments mean you love me:

Skye said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My favorite hot chocolate in Paris was at Angelina. You can buy it to take home too- it's a bag of chocolate flakes that you melt, not powder! Yummm. This stuff might sound even better, though! Too bad I am on the other side of the country :(

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh. I am jealous! Paris. Hot chocolate!!!!!!

Ella said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just drooled all over my keyboard!

YUM!

Now, I just need this to come out to the midwest.. or possibly I just head out West.

Bird Shit said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OMG that looks SOOO good!

Brandy Wilcoxen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Now thats some hot chocolate!

Oilfield Trash said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That stuff looks YUMMY.

Simon said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have had a thing for hot chocolate during the snowy evenings, I have ended up with 5 different hot chocolates in the house along with marshmallows and a can of cream. In fact I'm going to go and make myself one now!

Bitter Betty said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Omg. Seriously put that in our agenda! Even if it is in July!

SurferWife said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Honestly? If I had a dollar for every time a chocolate man tried to climb on my face, I'd be able to take you to Compton.

Simone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

my favorite hot chocolate was at cafe in Georgetown (DC), but i'm going to have to make a special trip up to P-town for that hot chocolate. you look so blissful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...