Monday, January 17, 2011

Random Thoughts of a Crazy Lady

Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day. Aren't you excited? I never would have noticed if it weren't for the Internets. Not because I don't care, but because I work from home and will definitely be working today.

But as trite as it sounds, MLK has remained one of my life-long heroes. Not necessarily because of all the amazing work he did (which he did and it's amazing), but mostly because the man was so damn smart! I dare you to find someone so wise.

My fave quote:

"Will we be extremists for hate or will we be extremists for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice - or will we be extremists for the cause of justice?" 
-Letter from Birmingham Jail
 And that's how I've tried to live my life. Truly. Why is extremist such a dirty word? Why is subversive such a dirty word? If you're doing it for the right cause, these can be noble pursuits.

Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now.

~~~~~~~~~~

There is this very sweet and effusive guy who is a regular at karaoke. I believe he said he's from Ghana and he once sand this song in Swahili. It was very cool. He is very cool. There's not one person he meets, I guarantee, who doesn't feel his genuine kindness. He greets you warmly, looks you in the eye, says, "Hello, Sista," and holds your forearm as you talk. It's impossible to not feel special after meeting him.

So this past Friday, I ran into him at karaoke and he told me it was his birthday. He told me I was incredible. He told me to follow my dreams and I will move mountains. Then he called his friend over and told him it was my birthday. I was like, no no it's not! Then he told me it was his friend's birthday. Then he kissed me on the cheek and went on his way.

It wasn't until yesterday that I realized what he meant. He meant Martin Luther King day. He meant that this day is a birthday for all of us. That we shouldn't just remember it, but celebrate it like a birthday and realize our own potential greatness and follow our dreams.

I don't know that I've been so moved in such a long time. One man spreading wisdom and joy where ever he goes. And I can promise you, he is truly joyous. Would that all people would spread such positive contagions.

~~~~~~~~~~

I know everyone wants to know how Jeté is doing. She's doing well right now. I have to monitor her respiration so we know when to get her on anti-inflammatories.

I'm also supposed to be making her end of life plans. Which, fuck if I want to do. I know I need to decide if she'll die at home or in a vet's office. I need to decide what to do with her little body (but how am I supposed to part with her soft fur?).

I need a grownup to make these decisions for me.

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also battling an evil cold of epic proportions once again. To that I say: what the fuck, universe? What. The. Fuck?

Honestly, I was feeling sick last week, but I fought it off and got better! And now? I feel like my sinuses may explode. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with so much sinus pressure I honestly cannot breathe and I have to battle it with epic nose blows just to get some relief. It's oh so lame.

Not really me. I stole this photo of the Internets & I don't care.
And my cousin is coming to visit this weekend and I cannot be sick. Can. Not. Be. Sick.

Fuck colds!

~~~~~~~~~~

You guys were awesomesauce and nominated me for Studio 30+ Boomerang Awards! Now it is time to vote. And, best I can tell, you don't have to be a member to vote.

So get your behinds over there and help me dominate! awwwyeah!

Pee to the Ess? I totes already voted and showed the love. Oh yes I did.

~~~~~~~~~~

It's also time to vote for the Raw Photos Contest! Rules are here. Pool is here.

Have fun and good luck!

I meant that. Good luck choosing. There are some awesome shots!

~~~~~~~~~~

You didn't forget about my Etsy page didja? No, of course you didn't. Check my page soon because I'll be adding a bunch of new pieces.

Aaaaaaand...

Keep an eye on the most awesometastic site ever, This Blogger Makes Fun of Stuff, for a giveaway of one of my pieces.

You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter.

So, even though Jeté is no longer receiving treatment, I'm still raising mucho dinero for the bills from her chemo and CT scan. Thanks so much to everyone who has so generously donated and purchased items from my shop! You guys blow me away with your generosity. I can't thank you enough.

~~~~~~~~~~

I need y'all to do me a solid and watch this next video made by my lovely friend Poppy of Funny or Snot. She's one of my fave people, a fellow Oregonian, hilarity incarnate, and WAY cooler than me as she does things like run marathons.

SO Poppy is trying to get TRX to sponsor her training for the Vancouver (in Washington, not Canada) marathon. All she has to do is get the most views on You Tube of the 30 second video. I know you can spare 30 seconds to help my awesome friend. I know I've watched it at least six times. 



~~~~~~~~~~

Aaaaaand then there's this. Just the fact that this exists makes me question my sanity.



14 comments mean you love me:

Brandy Wilcoxen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I didn't realize it was a holiday until today because I too work from home and yep, working.

Oilfield Trash said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I forgot today was MLK day until I drove to work and saw that there was no traffic at all.

meleah rebeccah said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, I do hope you feel better soon! Being sick sucks.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Brandy- yup. the world keeps turning.

OT- that's how it always happened to me in my last job. we never took the holidays off.

meleah- thanks! yes it does.

Nush said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I could rant on about a looong list of home remedies, which my sister insisted on trying out on me when I was younger... very traumatic (OK maybe not really) but I will spare you that. One that actually works though... boil some ginger root in a bit of water for 30 min. Add lemon juice and some honey... drink. Clears all that shit.

Hope you feel better soon.

Liz said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YAY for Pimpin The Poppy!

I totally voted for you over at Studio30.

I'm glad that Jete is doing OK for the time being.

Jackie T said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my cold is going to kill me. I literally woke up this morning (day #11 of Bluggghhh), had to blow my nose in an attempt to resuscitate breathing, and gave myself a bloody nose. SERIOUSLY!? As if the sick death march which includes 30 minutes of hacking and blowing (in the least of all sexy ways, hahaha) EVERY MORNING wasn't enough, now I'm losing blood to this battle?!? WTF cold? I've had enough!!!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nush- already drinking the ginger tea. I hate it. hoping it works! <3

Liz- goooo Poppy!

Jackie- don't die! I'm right there with ya!

Laura said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That video makes me question my sanity too. Wow.

And I'm sorry to hear about Jete. You two keep your chins up.

Got my ass in on your raw photos contest this time around, and have loved looking through everybody's pics! Yay. Need to get on over there to vote now!

Happy MLK day!

All the best,
Laura

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks so much, Laura. good luck in the contest!

Lizzy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What. TheFuck. is going on in that video? How are my eyes still functioning properly? Did that really happen? Am I dreaming?

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

THAT is exactly my point!

Satan said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YATTA!!!
ohmigod i haven't seen that video since freshman year of college, and it STILL cracks me up like a 12 year old!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

dude, I so didn't know this existed until like a week ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...