Thursday, March 3, 2011

waves of homesickness

 PST! Raw Photos Contest starts in a few days so get your cameras out! Theme: What Makes You Laugh

Oh and go check out this post I wrote over at This Blogger Makes Fun of Stuff. I teach you how to shop. For realsies. You don't want to miss it. 

We now return you to your regular programming.

 ~~~~~~~~~~

I've been feeling a little homesick for California.

Not for the sunshine.

Not for the palm trees or beaches or long desert highway.

Certainly not for the traffic or the smog.

It's for the food.

It's for In-N-Out. For a Double Double Animal Style with extra cheese and fries (also animal style) and a shake and a lemonade. For the fresh vegetables and grilled onions. For the freshly made buns lightly toasted on the grill. For the best fast food your tongue will ever lay taste buds on in the world.
orgasmic
I don't care what they say here, Burgerville does not come close. I have never had a burger or fries as insanely tasty as In-N-Out. I miss it. I need it.

Does anyone know someone who works there? Maybe they can make it happen for a homesick blogger? Fed-Ex some goodness in a cooler? Mama needs some In-N-Out love!
this needs to happen now
I also miss burritos. Not the kind you find at food carts here. Or even the kind I make at home. I want a dirty taco stand burrito, the kind you only find that close to the border, the greasier and dirtier the better. Huge, soft tortilla, browned. Refried beans. Tons of cheese and hot sauce and sour cream.

I want to have a heart attack looking at it. I want to have to unhinge my jaw to take a bite. And I want to feel as if I swallowed a sea lion after I've eaten it.
actual burrito from my fave taco stand in So Cal
Now this last one isn't so much California as the last city I lived in. In said small town, there is the best Greek restaurant I've ever been in counting my time in Europe. This place is heaven and my friends and coworkers would head there to nom on hummus and pita and destress any chance we got. The owner, Michael, is awesome. He remembers your name (even years later) and what your fave foods are. If you order something else, he'll tell you what you really want. And he'll be right.

He makes ALL the food fresh right there for you. The hummus with fresh oil drizzled, the soft warm doughy pita straight from the oven, the falafel and euro rolls. MMMM I'm dying of happy just thinking about it.

And I miss my friends and family. Of course I do. But who are we kidding? My friends would be eating with me too!

13 comments mean you love me:

Nush said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Food makes us tick. Good food (with that I mean tasty, not necessarily healthy) is what makes life great.

Sometimes you just need that greasy, yummy, cheesy, slobby food. Being healthy is good but with all things... there needs to be a balance. Yin and yang and all that :)

Am hungry now...

C said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I wasn't hungry until I read this. YUM!


I miss you TONS!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nush- you're so right. food is one of the great joys in life.

C- miss you tooooooo!

Coco said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You want HUM-MUS!? gah, Michael and his angsty daughters. Eurogrille rules.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I miss it SO badly!

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gulp.

I'm off to rummage through my cabinets in search of food, now.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've never heard of In-N-Out, but then again I'm from the East Coast. We're practically heathens when it comes to fast food. And those burgers looked divine. I'll have to try one when I visit my friend in CA. Right now I am totally jealous of the West Coast's awesome food. All we've got here is Smithfields and Cracker Barrel.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Abby- good luck!

Colleen- you're missing out. but I warn you: once you have In-N-Out, you'll just want it forever. it's that good.

Suniverse said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've never had In-N-Out, but I'm feeling your pain about the absolute NEED for the great food you grew up with. The delicious, tasty, insanely awesome food that makes you weep with happiness when you take a bite. YUM.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

yes! I imagine this is how people who grew up in the deep South feel when they move away. I'd miss that good Southern cooking. mmhmm.

we hate you. love, us said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

In-N-Out is magical. Seriously...best food ever. Nothing will ever compare to animal style fries. Sigh...

Simone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

it's always here, waiting for you. until it crumbles into the sea... i haven't had a double double in over 6 years (vegan). i miss them too. sort of.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

B&V- yes, yes it is. so magical.

Simone- mmm. at least you can still get a vegi sandwich there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...