Thursday, March 24, 2011

On Learning

First and foremost, I love my mind. I know I'm attractive and I honestly am not so dense as to think I could compare myself to how I might feel if I looked differently. But in this body and this mind, my mind trumps looks every day. It's my best feature. My looks, aesthetics, the importance of pretty, all that is unimportant. It's nice. And I like to dress up and look attractive. But I'd trade all that for more learning and knowledge.

Seriously. If a university told me I could trade my face for tutition, I'd do it in a hot minute. I'd love to get my Masters, not necessarily because it could further my career (because you don't really need a Creative Writing MFA to write), but to increase my knowledge. But, hell, maybe I'd get a degree in something else, even though I'm a writer through and through. Did you know I have two AAs? One in English and one in Marketing, and my BA is in Literature.

But I happen to think my brain is sexy as hell. 
I love to learn. Most of my life was spent reading a book. But some of my best memories were in discussion in a classroom. I can't read something new or learn something that changes my mind and not share it, because I think it's so important to pass knowledge on.

It's frustrating to me that there's so much to learn and only so little time and resources. I wish I could find more time to read. I need learning in my life. I need people around that think critically. That analyze the world and seek out knowledge. That challenge my mind to grow and think and learn.

I really don't quite understand those who don't care about learning. Not that I don't respect their interests or whatever. I just don't understand it. It's such a huge part of my being that I simply cannot empathize with another perspective. Why wouldn't you want to know everything there is to know? I understand not being interesting in a particular topic, but I don't understand not wanted to know new things at all.

I'm a seeker. I need to travel. I need to discover the world and see places I've never seen and learn about their histories and cultures and norms and cuisines. I can't imagine just being happy in my little life, sitting in a bubble, not needing to break out and become affected by the differences of the world.

That's what it is. Unlike conquerors of the past, I don't want to change world by who I am. I want it to change me. To show me new ways of living, of thinking, of believing. I may not yield easily in some aspects of my thinking, but knowing more and more about different modes of thought expands our ability to think broadly and respect others' differences.

I want to learn all I can about governments and politics and policies. One thing I learned when living in France was not that the French do it best (which is what I expected to learn going there). Instead I learned that no one does it best. No one. We're all bumbling around this planet doing the best we can, trying to live. I like what some nations do in certain ways and not so much in others. And some nations just have it bassackwards. But if we think we're the best, we'll never learn to do it better.

I want to keep informed about what's going on in the places I live and in the world. I also don't understand how people don't care about that. These things affect us directly as citizens and residents and, hell, as people. I really don't get not caring. I mean, live your life. But at least recognize that if you're not informed or you don't get involved, you forfeit your right to care what happens.

But who would you? It's so exhilarating to learn and absorb and digest knowledge. There's nothing sexier than a sharp mind. And nothing more exciting than someone who challenges me to a debate, who puts my mind to the test, who helps me learn about the obscure or interesting.

22 comments mean you love me:

Satan said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ps. i heart you.

in a completely unrelated note, thank you soooooooooo much for introducing me to The Weepies. because i think i just found my new fav band...

Lance said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

agreed


bespectacled teacher/librarian = hot

Ali said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Try a goodreads account if you haven't already. As Americans, we need things to have weight before we give them priority and do them. The French, as you know, need no such thing. But to play to r ingrained mindset, goodreads keeps track of how much you've read and let's you set a goal for the year...so if you find there's not enough time for reading and learning you'd be surprised how much time just opens up as soon as you're like, okay, I'm reading a hundred books this year.

We'll make our own damn masters degree!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Satan awwww! I heart you too! and you're welcome.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Lance always hot

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Ali woman, I already read tons a year! hah! maybe I should learn something new like pottery or Vietnamese. ;)

Nush said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Stupidity is one thing but there is never an excuse for ignorance. Not in the "age of information".

Anyway, learning new interesting things is fun. Have to say... I am a sucker for BBC Focus magazine. :)

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

"Unlike conquerors of the past, I don't want to change world by who I am. I want it to change me."

Well said. Very well said.

I think that people who don't want to know or to learn have never been moved to the core by an experience outside of their comfort zone. This thirst for knowledge seems to exist in those of us who have been awoken by an event. By tasting or seeing or hearing something that was so different to what we are used to... you open your eyes and realize: holy shit, where did that come from? I want to know more!

Travel facilitates that transition. Experiencing other cultures and seeing that even the most basic of tasks can be approached differently - it changes you. You begin to question things. And then you start on the search for more information. Don't every stop asking WHY or stretching yourself beyond your comfort zone. It is what separates you from mediocrity.

SeeWhatIDidThere said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Charlie Chan doesn't "want to change world". Most people don't want to change the world.

Skye said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I hear you! I am lucky because I went back to school (part-time) last year to work toward my master's in education and become a teacher (yay! lifelong learning!). But I dearly miss traveling and learning about new places. I want to go back to Europe... I want to take road trips across the USA. I want to see the world and learn from it.

Also- I can't listen to the State of the Union address because I find it too patriotic, too "America's the best country ever!" and that offends me.

Hutch said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've always said I would stay in school forever if I could afford it. Sadly I'll be paying of my masters for awhile, but it was worth every penny! I will admit to not being as interested in politics, or at least in discussing them because I don't fit into a mold of Liberal or Conservative or even Moderate. I would be more interested if I wasn't attacked so often. I love to learn, but it's gotta work both ways. Religions on the other hand, completely fascinate me!

Sassy Stylings said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

If someone paid me to go to school, I'd still be there :-)

christy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This makes me happy. I'm glad there are other people in the world like this.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Nush I didn't think it was possible but I think I love you even more now. <3

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@hastaclaridad mmm YES! all that you said! we must be soul mates.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@SeeWhatIDidThere ya know, if my dad wasn't a huge Charlie Chan fan (hee, rhyming), I wouldn't have gotten that. :) I don't think most people want to change the world necessarily, but historically we have anyway. colonial history lives as proof.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Skye that offends me too!! and I'm jealous. I really want to go back to school. *sigh*

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Hutch I think it's okay to know how you feel about something. and I also know how frustrating it can be to be attacked for your politics. that's ok. we all have our areas. I also love religions. super fascinating yes?

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Sassy Stylings dude. I'm right there with ya!

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@christy aw yay!! <3

Sarah said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You absolutely don't need an MFA in creative writing to write well. That is hella true.

But I'm in a creative nonfiction writing MFA program, and let me just tell you ... you would love it.

I think it's something writers should do when they really love the craft and love thinking about it and talking about it and being with other people who love those things, too.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Sarah P oh man. now you make me *really* want to go back to school! maybe I'll start researching programs. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...