Wednesday, December 9, 2009

crazy town: population me

*whew* I know posting has been light, Internet, and that is because I have been a busy, busy lady. But all in all, hanging in there. The holidays can be so crazy stressful so I'm just trying to keep a handle on my sanity and barrel through. Plus I've been eating so much food, tiny chemicals are releasing in my head that tell me everything will be okay. See, I may not eat when I'm upset or sad, but I can sure as hell eat when I'm stressed. Besides, I've decided to plump up for the winter. Maybe an extra layer will keep me warmer. No improvement yet, but I'll keep you updated.

This last weekend was busy. My dad came to visit on Saturday, helped me put together my brand new kitchen island. And I swear to god that thing is so damned pretty, I want to hump it. It's perfection. Sometimes I just stand in my kitchen and stare at it, amazed at its raw beauty. Anyway, so the pops and I had fun doing that and then went to the local Christmas parade. He loves that kind of thing, and I kind of do to. I used to be on dance team in high school and lurved being in parades. So it was fun. It's a night parade so if we do this next year, we're bringing blankets to sit on. Our butts were pretty damn cold. Oh and you know those plastic horns they sell to kids at that kind of thing or at fairs, the ones that make that goose-like honking sound? Yeah, whoever invented those should die a slow and painful death. 'nough said.

Moving on. Sunday I made myself put up some christmas lights. I say that loosely, because I celebrate winter or Yule more than christmas itself, but there it is. But I could kick myself. I spent so long putting up blue and white twinkle lights and as soon as it was dark, I realized that some strands are blue and some are turquoise. Now, I know what you're thinking, Internet. You're thinking, WHO CARES? Well, I'll tell you who cares. Me. Moi. It looks lame. I am so better than that. I used to get paid to put together store displays and floorsets and I can't even make my twinkle lights match? Lame. Every time I see those lights, I want to hiss at them in utter abhorrence. I'll eventually fix it, but it'll have to wait until I have some free time, which isn't for a while because....wait for it....I'm going to San Francisco this weekend!

So so so, I leave for San Fran on FRIDAY and I am so crazy excited, because this is easily one of my favorite cities in the world. It's so European, people out on the street, different cultures clashing, the smells, the sounds. MMMM, I love that city. I'm going for work (yay for my job!), but I actually only have to work 4 hours or so and then I'll be hanging and catching up with a very old friend that I made in fashion school. Well, we both went to the same school, but we became friends as coworkers and she and I used to be the double trouble of Hollywood, let me tell you. I am so stoked to see this little lady again! I haven't seen her in years.

I just have to squeeze in one story of such ridiculous irony that I can just swim in it. Yesterday, I had a meeting that went late. So I rushed back to my deserted office, grabbed all my crap, and hustled home in traffic. Once I got home however, I realized I'd left my cell phone on my desk. Crap. But, maybe I could do without it for one night. I do have a backup alarm clock so maybe...no, I have to go back. See, I have a standing date with my dad to play Jeopardy over the phone if both of us are home. It's turned into quite the ritual that has lasted years. And I knew he'd be calling for Jeopardy and I had no way to tell him I didn't have my phone (because it's not like my dad uses email outside of work or is on Facebook or anything like that). So I drove all the way back to the office. And there my phone was. Sitting on my desk where I'd left it. And I had a voicemail. It's from my dad. Telling me that he wouldn't make Jeopardy that night. Irony, you are a fickle bitch.

Before you go, make sure to check out this small story from the Daily Beast and read through all the comments. I let myself get drug into quite the inane discussion. With the exception of a few, most of these people are so incredibly crazy or ignorant or bigoted, I can't believe it. The xenophobic, hateful things people say shocks me to no end, even though I shouldn't be shocked. I should know that people are racists and xenophobes. but I guess at the end of the day, I really would rather give people the benefit of the doubt. Stupid me.

I'm sure I won't have time to post again until next week, so happy weekend!


0 comments mean you love me:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...