Thursday, July 7, 2011

Getting into Hot Pants

Bet you're all wondering what's up with Mr. Hot Pants.

In short? He's incredible. I don't think he possibly knows how much. But this dude makes me so effervescently happy, I can't even describe. Totally happy.

AND? You know how I'm a lifelong insomniac? I sleep better with him in my bed than I do alone. How awesome slash crazy is that? He's like my own just slightly addictive sleep aid. Can't beat that.

He upset me for the first time a few weeks ago, and it's not even important why, but I share this for two reasons. One, because it was a bit of a relief to know he can do that. Like, you know that tension when someone is too good to be true? It feels good to let a little of the tension out. Second, he felt so badly about it that it was too freaking adorable. His face just made me melt. How was I to resist? The minute I saw his puppy-sad face, I lost any bit of upset I had left.

On the other hand, he handles my insanity quite well. Twice now I know I've acted like a complete banshee to him and he's just taken it in stride.

Once, when he took me (aka made me) play disc golf for the first time (first time for me, I mean) and from the depths of my soul came this terrified little kid who got made fun of for sucking at kickball (or any other playground sport) and I started crying. Like a crazy person. And the more I tried to stop, the worse it got. But he was kind and patient and I didn't die or humiliate myself (sort of).

Then this last weekend, I had a low blood sugar moment, which I don't think he'd experienced yet because I'm usually pretty good at keeping my feedings regular. But I could feel the cranky washing over me and there was nothing I could do to stop it until I got sugar, sweet sweet sugar, pumping through my veins again. And you know? He didn't freak out at all. I think he must have wondered where this insane woman came from and would she please go soon? One assumes.

What's also awesome is that though we do have a lot in common, we also have differences and I think it makes a nice balance.

As I told my 13 year old friend just the other day, the important thing I've learned when it comes to dating is to both be picky and realistic. You can't have an amalgam of the perfect dream guy. You can't pick and choose all the best things you want and wait and wait for some Frankenstein monster of a lover to come along. So you figure out the most important things you want and wait for those and you sort of let all the other shit go. Everybody's gonna have their own things and it's okay if you don't like all of it or enjoy all of it. You appreciate the best parts and then those best parts maybe even make you like the little things too. I truly believe that.

Anyway.

It's all official and shit, even on the facebook, which was quite the hit with all my friends. I don't know if it's because it's been years since I've put a relationship on the facecrack or because all my friends were waiting with baited breath for me to be in a relationship. Either way, it's all awesomeness.

Did I mention I'm happy?

15 comments mean you love me:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

congratulations, welcome to the happy. This significant other should be honored to be called Mr Hot pants.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The sweetness of a new relationship is unbearably good. Enjoy every single moment.

amydpp said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I would love to leave a comment here about how I'm all happy for you and shit, but my jealousy is making it hard to type.

Skye said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YAY! that is totally awesome. and I love what you wrote about there not being a perfect person with every single thing you want. I'm struggling with that right now.

Random Girl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mr Hotpants? That is a great nickname! I am a big fan of nicknames myself but this one of the best. He should feel honored. Glad you are happy. Happy is good!

Suniverse said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYA!!!!

I'm so glad for you. This sounds like a beautiful relationship.

Dawn said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mr. Hotpants for the WIN!!! I too, have a man that can handle the buckets of crazy that I regularly heap upon him. It's great to know that not everyone runs away screaming, isn't it?

Nubian said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Always great to read a happy blog. Love the advice you gave your 13 year old friend.

The Random Blogette said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yay for you! That is so awesome. It is nice when we find a man that can handle our crazy!

AmoebaMike said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Really happy to hear this news. Haven't heard much from you lately. Good to hear how happy you make him. I'm sure you make him just as happy. :-P

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

THRILLED that you have found a great guy!!

You deserve it!!

Jen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so incredibly happy for you I could puke! But I won't, cuz it's gross.

melaenis said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates
This comment has been removed by the author.
Satan said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i'm so happy for you, seriously! it's always wonderful to find someone with whom you can be deliriously happy with, even when the flaws come out.

my relationship with the Matt is wonderful, simply because he can accept ALL of my flaws (and there are a TON of them) in stride.

he doesn't try to change me; he's just there for me when i need it. he's not scared of my bipolar, he just accepts it, which is so, so rare.

i hope that you have found the same sort of acceptance and delight with your current Man. he sure seems like a winner!

and you, most certainly, deserve a winner!

alonewithcats said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm happy you're happy. And because I'm not happy, I'll live vicariously through you. So, no pressure, but my happiness lies in your hands.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...