Sunday, May 13, 2012

Random Thoughts of a Crazy Lady

You read that right. Random Thoughts are back! You lucky ducks.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So the other day I was sitting in downtown Portland, enjoying the sun (finally!) and getting the first sunburn of the year (awwyeah!) and avoiding the rats with wings. I mean pigeons. I hate pigeons. Hate them. They're disgusting.

Anyway, it occurred to me that that song in Mary Poppins, Feed the Birds, was about pigeons. That bird woman was feeding the pigeons of London. She was asking kids to give her money to feed the pigeons.

Why were we all so enamored by this? She was a crazy bird lady feeding the disgusting pigeons! London's pigeon problem is probably all her fault. And doesn't this make you question Mary Poppins' sanity? Why did she convince those two kids to give their money to a crazy bird woman instead of investing it in the bank? What the hell was the teaching those kids?

~~~~~~~~~~

Do you want to know the truth? The real reason dancers wear tights? It's not to look pretty and it's not, as we tell you, to keep our muscles warm. It's to hide all the wounds and bruises that dancing causes. It's true. Dance is brutal and they wouldn't want their pretty ballerinas to look all beat up and bruised would they? What kind of message would that send? Therefore? Tights.

In fact, even though I don't dance anymore, my legs still get all bruised up. It's like my legs are magnets for desk corners and random walls that come out of nowhere. I need to start wearing tights again. People must think I'm a masochist. Which I kind of am, I admit.

Next week: dancer's feet!

~~~~~~~~~~

Today is mother's day. I hate mother's day. Just like I hate all family and religious holidays. These days are supposed to be all about making us feel special and included, but they forget all about those who aren't included. Those of us without mothers or fathers or children or who don't practice a certain religion are totally left out and completely screwed.

At least on Christmas, you have to stay home because not one fucking place is open. On mother's day, if you go out and about like a normal person, you get inundated with reminders of your lacking. I swear, if one more person asks me what my big mother's day plans are, I might punch them in the face.

Because it doesn't stop with one question. I say no plans and they ask why and then I have to explain that I don't have kids (why not? oh don't worry! you'll get some!) (barf) or that I don't talk to my mom or sometimes I say that I don't have a mom, which then gets sad faces and sympathy and makes me feel like a jerk for ruining their lovely day. But fuck, they brought it up! Or sometimes they say, Oh everyone has a mom! Or they respond, Oh she's your MOM! Don't you want to call her? As if they know one fucking thing about my life and I really shouldn't have to explain myself to every random fucking stranger.

So in summation: mother's day sucks. I know this is also true for my friends who are step moms are have lost babies or lost mothers. I'm with ya, sisters. I'm with ya. Stay strong and fuck Hallmark.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am brilliant. Most days. Yesterday was not one of those days.

It was a beautiful day. And I really wanted to get outside. I also wanted to swim laps at the gym. So I decide that I'll walk the roughly three miles there. In flip flops. Because I'm a genius.

Also, the day before, I'd spent all day taking photos at a golf tournament and the bottom of my feet had started to get a few blisters that weren't that bad and wouldn't have gotten bad if I hadn't decided to walk three miles in the hot sun in flip flops.

So you can imagine what shape my feet were in by the time I got there.

I did have a good swim, but then I had to make my way home. Luckily, I'm smart enough to take the bus, but that included walking to find a business that would break a bill so I'd have exact change and then hobbling to the bus stop and then home.

I had planned on hiking today, to avoid mother's day, but as you can imagine, my sore soles are in no shape for a hike. At least there are cozy coffee shops with ice tea and rose gluten free cookies and wifi where I can write random blog posts.

There is that. It's brilliant really.

4 comments mean you love me:

Lance said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Dancer's feet should be the name of your band.

Happy whatever you want today to be. I like how you write so I read and enjoy.

Take it easy

Skye Harmony said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hmm, I'm not a dancer but my legs look like that too. I should wear tights more.

This is my first Mother's Day since I stopped talking to my mom (since she took being horrible to me to new extremes and I decided I was done). Thankfully I spent quality time with my grandma and my best friend's mom, but it was also a sad day. I think mothers deserve a day to be recognized, but it does suck for anyone who has lost a mother or child or whose mother is not in their life. :(

alonewithcats said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mary Poppins was ahead of her time, warning that giving money to a bag lady feeding the birds would be the same as investing at the bank. Yes, she predicted the subprime mortgage crisis. #julieandrews4eva

Jay Ferris said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Pretty sure Mary Poppins was just some crazy cockney lady's downward spiral into madness and hallucinations. I mean, the chimney sweep is obviously a projection of her dirty, tainted psyche that she wanted to bang, right? And don't even get me started on the whole dancing with cartoon penguins while speaking in tongues thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...