Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Killer of Love

I am so tired, Internet. So freaking tired. Having trouble getting enough sleep and under some pressure, I'm really beginning to drag. I've been fighting off a monstrous headache ALL AFTERNOON and it's starting to make me loopy. And it's only Tuesday! Joy!

That aside, things are good. It's raining right now and I just love the sound of the drops hitting my window. Makes me happy in my heart. ♥

see?

Plus, I was going to have to work Saturday, but that was canceled and now I have a whole weekend off! Oh the possibilities. I could take my car in. Or get some basic shopping done. Or do laundry. Or garden. Or take myself to a movie. Or, or, or. So many options! Where to even begin?

And this weekend I bought a ticket to Portland to go see Love Interest for a weekend in February. Which is uber exciting! I cannot wait. And I'm tempted to shop first so that I have cute new things to wear. But I'll try to resist. I should save my money. I won't buy anything I don't need. Or maybe I'll just buy a couple of things. Just to be cute.

And I inadvertently picked Valentine's weekend, as he pointed out to me. But of course, I wasn't thinking of that. I was thinking of the first weekend I had free which also had the cheapest flights, not of the day that kills love. Okay, here she goes again, you moan, is there a holiday this woman actually likes? Well, as a matter of fact there is, Internet. I like New Years and Halloween and my birthday. What? My birthday is a holiday. It's labor day too. Every year, they let out school for my birthday. Hello!

Anyhow, I'm just not a huge fan of the day of Valentines. The best February fourteenths I've had were with girlfriends, getting facials, or going dancing. And the worst ones I've had were on dates. I realize that for the rest of the world, Valentine's is the worst for the singletons, those who have their faces rubbed in their singleness by Hallmark and One Eight Hundred Flowers. And we also assume that the coupled-ups bask in their rosy bliss and soak in the smarmy holiday like coffee cake. But I've just never seen it that way. When I'm single, Valentines passes like any other day. For the last 4 years, I've celebrated V-day at a performance of the Vagina Monologues. Sometimes I wear pink. Whatever.

But for couples, isn't there too much hype, too much pressure, too much everything? Why this one day? This one day with pink heart confetti, raunchy greeting cards, and bad chocolate? Why ruin something potentially special and wonderful with an insane amount of pressure to be the most perfect yet somehow most cheesey? I don't get it.

I've never seen much romance, but I'd like to think it exists and I'm sure to the core of my being that it doesn't exist on Valentine's Day. Or maybe it happens to some people sometimes, as it would organically happen on any other day. But contrived romance? I think those two words kill each other. And thus, Valentine's Day is the killer of love.

Sorry, Saint Valentine, wherever you are. Your holiday sucks.

Nevertheless, I'm still excited about this weekend in Portland, even if I'll be there on Valentine's Day. I have a hunch that it will still be awesome.

3 comments mean you love me:

Coco said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We're spending our Valentine's Day delivering flowers for other people. So, we're making money while others are spending it. I'd much rather have it our way! We were never big on it anyway. Funny cards... aaaaaaand maybe Subway if we are feeling spendy. ohhh boy howdy!

TheTraveler said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well as far as I'm concerned, Valentine's Day is for the newly coupled. Those who are swept up in the mood of it all...and willing to throw some cash in that arena. As for us happily married types, generally we don't pay much attention to V day. The special days are the ones where flowers, chocolates and fancy dinners are not for any holiday or reason, other then sharing and being together.

Andygirl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You two rock my world

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...